Friday, January 25, 2013

Middle School Hygiene Problems

  

What does middle school smell like? I'd say it's a robust combination of Axe body spray, body odor, and cafeteria food, mixed with Lovespell perfume, hormones, and a hint of tears. That's why the smartest teachers and counselors know to invest in a good Scentsy, Glade Plug-In, Fabreeze, or other room deodorization product. If you work in a middle school and haven't invested in such a product yet, go, get to your nearest retailer asap. I assure you, air quality is an essential part of self care.

In all seriousness though, middle schoolers can smell pretty funky. So, what to do when that somewhat "normal" funk blossoms into a full blown hygiene problem? When this happens, trust me, you will know by the phone calls and emails you get from the teachers, nurse, or other staff members. "Can you please do something about this?"

I will say, I don't think any graduate course fully prepared me for this aspect of the job. Don't get me wrong, I knew I'd be wearing many hats, I just didn't realize I would be giving step by step instructions on armpit washing to middle schoolers. I was somewhat surprised to learn that some students just do not know the basics of good hygiene. In some families this is simply a skill that isn't taught. I took for granted that if you tell a kid to take a shower, they know what to do. I was shocked when I sent a student with a body odor problem to "freshen up,"  handed her soap, a wash cloth, and deodorant, and then discovered the soap and washcloth were still completely dry. When I asked the student how the items were dry already she said, "Oh I didn't use them, but I took care of it. I put the deodorant on."  I've learned that sometimes you have to spell it out.

Dealing with middle school hygiene issues can feel like a balancing act. You want to solve the problem and ultimately help the student without crushing their feelings in the process. You may also have to listen to complaints from staff members about odor problems creating a disruption within their classroom, while reassuring them that you are working with the student. Let's face it, no one wants to be told they stink. Below are some strategies I've used. I'd love to hear ideas or stories from other counselors on how they've handled hygiene problems.
  1. Don't ignore the problem. 
  2. Tactfully, let them know that someone at the school has brought the concern to you. Stress that you are not trying to embarrass them and want to help them develop healthy habits and avoid problems with their peers. We all know middle school kids can be mean. 
  3. Let the parents know you talked to their child about the problem.
  4. Try to identify specifically what the problem is. Is it body odor, dirty clothes, etc.?
  5. Explain that adolescence is a time of many changes and may require a new hygiene routine. Go through their current evening and morning routines and see if there are any loopholes.
  6. Help them develop a plan for daily hygiene. 
  7. Make sure they have the supplies they need. I have a supply of deodorant, shampoo, baby powder, foot spray, and soap in my office.
  8. Check in with the student and teachers after you've addressed the problem to see if it has been resolved. 
  9. In cases where the problem is ongoing or the issue is that the student's home has odor problems........You may need to develop a plan to get clean at the school. In homes that smell bad, the parents themselves are probably unaware of the problem. It's like the homes of many smokers. Eventually, they get used to the smell and don't realize they reek of cigarette smoke. If necessary, I've provided students with toiletries and allowed them to take showers at school. 
  10. Our nurse keeps a supply of clean clothing, and we've provided use of a washer/dryer or washed clothes for students during class. We are fortunate to have laundry facilities in our Family Consumer Science and Life Skills rooms. 
  11. In some cases, I've also called parents to suggest taking the student to their physician to rule out any medical problems that could be causing excessive body odor.   


Jess

1 comment:

  1. Jess, I have been looking at many counseling blogs over the last few days and reading up on suggestions about hygiene. I found this one to be very helpful, but also wanted to know if you have any suggestions about addressing the concern one on one with parents. I have found that addressing hygiene is one of the most sensitive subjects and I am looking for feedback for positive techniques. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete